AUSTRALIA: MACKILLOP INTERCESSION FOR PRIESTS' RECOVERY FROM CANCER

Cath News report: An Illawara priest credits his recovery from cancer to the intercession of Mary MacKillop, although the Vatican did not pick his case as an official miracle for her sainthood.
Father David Catterall, parish priest of St Paul's in Albion Park, NSW, had undergone surgical biopsy when the breast cancer he had previously been treated for appeared to have returned and spread, reports the Illawara Mercury.
He says the Josephites in his parish put him on the Novena list for Mary's intercession.
"I went into the surgery and had two ribs removed ... When I came out the surgeon said, 'I don't know what's happened but it's just amazing, it's not malignant'." The report said that before the surgical biopsy, Fr Catterall was visited by a fellow priest who loaned him a piece of wood from Mary MacKillop's original casket.
"People say to me, 'Do you think it was a miracle to Mary MacKillop?' and I say that for me it was my own little miracle," he said.
"While it's not the one that in the end the Vatican actually approved, for me it has always had that real connection."
Fr Catterall was just 27 when he was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a radical mastectomy, followed by eight months of chemotherapy and radiation. In 2005, it seemed that the cancer had returned and may have moved into his bones.
http://www.cathnews.com/article.aspx?aeid=22834

Comments