Thursday, October 21, 2010
ASIA: PHILLIPPINES: BISHOP CALLS FOR PRAYER FOR VICTIMS OF BUS CRASH
UCAN REPORT: A bishop who called on the Philippine government to enforce martial law in North Cotabato, today condemned a bomb attack on a passenger bus today that killed at least nine people and injured another nine.
“All violence is to be condemned, especially to civilians and innocents,” said Auxiliary Bishop Jose Colin Bagaforo of Cotabato.
The blast happened in Matalam town, North Cotabato as the bus was making its way to Cagayan de Oro City.
“We extend our sympathy and our prayers to the victims and their families,” Bishop Bogaforo said.
Military and police investigators so far have no leads.
“We do not have a suspect yet,” said Lt. Col. Randolph Cabangbang, spokesman of the Armed Forces’ Eastern Mindanao Command. Extortionists had been the “traditional suspects” in past provincial bombings of public bus.
The bomb was placed inside the bus, Cabangbang said. A team from the military’s Explosive and Ordnance Division will look into the components of the bomb for clues.