AUSTRALIA: MACKILLOP PAINTING BY LOCAL ARTIST GOES TO ROME

CATH NEWS REPORT: 2011

The Sunday Telegraph image of the artist Paul Newton and his painting

---

A newly-completed, larger than life-size portrait of Mary MacKillop is destined for pride of place in Domus Australia in Rome, which is to be opened later this year, reports the Sunday Telegraph.


It posed a few problems for the artist in his home-based studio at Dural in Sydney: "My ceilings aren't exactly low but I couldn't really stand the painting up high enough when I wanted to stand and work on it".The painting by Sydney artist Paul Newton was commissioned by the Archbishop of Sydney, Cardinal George Pell, and stands at well over two metres.

"So I had to do a lot of the work on my knees while it was laying on a concrete floor," Mr Newton said.

http://www.cathnews.com/article.aspx?aeid=24864

Comments