AFRICA: DEM. REP. OF CONGO: PEACE MARCH TO HELP CONGOLESE

Fides Service REPORT- "It is important to know one’s own history to avoid that the same crimes are repeated", says John Mpaliza to Fides, a Congolese native of Bukavu ( Kivu, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo-DRC) and resident in Italy for 17 years, who is carrying out a Peace march to raise public opinion and institutions awareness on the Congolese tragedy. Mpaliza, specialized in computer science at the University of Parma, currently lives in Reggio Emilia, where he works at the provincial administration. Last year he made the journey to Santiago de Compostela via Spain and had the opportunity to speak with many pilgrims about the situation in Congo. This year he wanted to make the journey along the "Francigena", starting from Reggio Emilia, via Parma, La Spezia, Pisa, Livorno, to arrive, always on foot, in Rome. The aim of the march is the same: to raise, along the way, groups and institutions awareness on the current situation of Congo.
"As a Congolese citizen I was told I had to inform the public about what is happening in my Country. Since I like to walk, I thought I would make the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, approaching with the utmost courtesy, the other pilgrims, trying to explain to them the tragedy of the DRC - says Mpaliza -. I was carrying a camera with which I recorded the comments of the pilgrims I met. I came back from Santiago with 300 messages of peace, videotaped in 17 languages from 30 countries".
"Last year – recalls Mpaliza - the UN published the Mapping report stating that in the DRC serious war crimes with more than 5 million deaths were committed. This report documents the period from 1993 to 2003, but fighting continued until 2009, while in the east of the Country serious violence is still committed, just think about the tragedy of war rapes. Facts which nobody seems interested in talking about".
"This year - continues Mpaliza - I thought about heading off to Rome, carrying with me the messages and files prepared with the Congolese living in Emilia Romagna in addition to the Mapping report by the UN to deliver them to local governments and associations that I find along the way. I am walking along the Francigena, and along the way I stop in different places where scheduled meetings are programmed with the authorities and the local population. I see people amazed by the enormity of the tragedy of Congo but ask me questions, a sign that there is an interest on their part".

Comments